Friday, February 6, 2009

A Friday Treat


Last weekend, for Super Bowl Sunday, I had planned to have an all-day stitch fest (sort of a stitch blitz, if you get my drift...) Instead, I ended up with my laptop on my lap, designing several little projects, and leapfrogging back and forth between Animal Planet's PUPPY BOWL and Sci Fi's GHOST HUNTERS marathon. Never did get any stitching done.... Go figure.

Anyway, one of the little projects I graphed out was a fun little valentine treat that I'm sharing with you today.....in plenty of time for you stitch up for Valentine's Day next week, if you're interested, and need something else to stitch (ha, ha).

Here's a glimpse at the graph:


You can print out the complete pattern on my website, in the FREE PATTERNS page. The apprx. size is 4.5" x 4.5" on 18 ct canvas.

I haven't had the chance to stitch it up yet, and I don't give you any thread names, only the most basic color options. But I think this will be a fun pattern to play around with. At first, I thought it would be fun to stitch in assorted pinks or reds on a neutral background - like a traditional valentine. But on second thought, I remembered I have a piece of red mono canvas that I've never stitched on, and wouldn't it be fun to reverse the colors, and stitch a winter white valentine on red canvas (or any other dark-colored canvas)?

And of course, there are all sorts of ways to mix & match thread types. You can use pearl cottons for the scalloped border, a variegated thread for the inside diamond pattern, add some metallic sparkle (whichever is your favorite - Neon Rays, Ribbon Floss, Flair, etc.), work the background pattern in fine threads (like #8 pearl cotton, or maybe a fine silk) to give it a delicate lacy look..... any of these possibilities will work in this design. And for the center heart: how about creating a padded heart? Or maybe attaching a heart charm? A ceramic heart button? And if you're a bead person, there are lots of places to add your favorite beads. I'm telling you, once you start playing around with this design, there are all sorts of fun possibilities!

I still haven't decided how I will stitch my valentine, but I'm looking forward to playing around with it this weekend. Hope you enjoy stitching one, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those colors that you posted in the photograph..What #'s are they. I want to do my chart in those colors.

Cindy said...

Awesome valentine treat! Thank you :)

SueB said...

what beautiful colors, and I've always loved your patterns - TFS! looking fwd to seeing more as you stitch!

Janice said...

Thanks for the pattern -- looks like fun. Laura, what software are you using to graph these?