Friday, September 18, 2009

A Little More Flower Nectar, Please


My new little camera (a Canon Power Shot A1000) takes the most amazing macro shots, which I normally focus on flowers. And it's always a thrill to see the pictures up-close on the computer screen, because you never know whether the shots are good or not until they are enlarged.

Here are some shots I took recently of a Tiger Swallowtail sipping nectar from the pink Jupiter's Beard wildflowers that grow all summer long in my garden....




He/She was quite a fluttery fellow skipping from one flower to the next, and while I wanted to get a full shot of its magnificent wings, I also kept getting closer and closer to see just how close a shot I could get. Here are my best shots:



I never imagined I would be taking pictures of butterfly tongues, counting the hairs on a butterfly's wings, or peering into the multi-faceted eyes of insects -- and loving it!

3 comments:

Marylou said...

WOW -- are we going to see a new piece about butterfly faces!!! amazing pics...
and I just finished 'TownHouse' in red shades...absolutely fantastic. Am taking it to my LNS. Quail Run, where I bought it during your trunk show this summer. Will have made into a framed piece (I have two cats and I think their little claws would love those threads on a pillow). Keep up the photo -- Marylou

Ruth said...

Wow. You make me want to actually *read* the guide that came with my camera :)

Wanda said...

Wow!!! GREAT pictures!! I can't believe how clear and sharp they are!